Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Hip Hop's Lucky Number Is 9

Is it just me or is there something about the number 9 that signals "takeover" in the hip hop world?
Real hip hop heads? Remember the "Year Of The Super Rappers" AKA 1999?
'99 is by far one of Hip Hop's best years, there were so many threats in the game and so much good music. It was completely alive 1999, no matter what station you turned on it was real hip hop.

2009.....where are these new and current threats come from? There are so many new faces that are making noise for '09 that its almost an complete resurrection of '99 itself. Not all the albums have landed yet but the music is being heard. For the 1st time in years I have some many new favorites in the game, its damn near too much. I catch myself hunting mostly for Demevolist-related artists. Mainly Yung Nate, Show Tufli, B/A & Charles Hamiltom(In that order). Other artist that's killing my ears lately are...
T-Rock
Wale
Blu
Kid Cudi
Cory Gunz
Drake
Asher Roth
Trae
and a few others.

I have a feeling that 2009 might be a close repeat of 1999 far as hip hop is concern.
Anyone else think so? I mean look what all happen in 1999 and the great music that came out. Both earlier 1999 and alittle after.

*Jay-Z, DMX, Redman, and Method embark on the "Hard Knock Life Tour," hip-hop's first successful major tour in more than a decade.

*Lauryn Hill's debut album wins five Grammy awards, including Album of the Year; the first hip-hop album to do so.

*Mos Def and Talib Kweli as Black Star( ok that was late '98 but come on, that joint rocked passed '99)

*Ill Albums That Were Released In 1999*
Dr. Dre - The Chronic 2001
Mos Def - Black On Both Sides
Slick Rick - The Art of Storytelling
Nas - I Am...
Nas - Nastradamus(Before it's time. Hated it in '99, good album these days)
DMX - Flesh Of My Flesh, Blood Of My Blood(Dec'08,fuck it though)
Eminem - The Slim Shady LP
Black Moon - War Zone
Raekwon - Immobilarity
2Pac & The Outlaws - Still I Rise
Rawkus Presents Soundbombing Vol. 2
Lil Wayne - The Block Is Hot(The original style of Wayne. Kills me when the Wayne "Stans" don't know about this album.)
The Roots - When Things Fall Apart
Ja Rule - Venni Vetti Vecci (Come On, Admit it. U had this joint)
Pharoahe Monch - Internal Affairs
Inspectah Deck - Uncontrolled Substance
GZA - Beneath the Surface
Mobb Deep - Murda Muzik
Method Man/Redman - Blackout
Hot Boy$ - Guerralla Warfare
B.G. - Chopper City In The Ghetto
Jay-Z - Vol. 3: Life and Times of S. Carter
Black Rob - Life Story (I think I even remember this joint getting 4.5 mics...like that means anything these days but back then it did.)
There are more but those are the ones in my collection.

Random Fact From 1999
Both Nas albums "I Am.." and "Nastradamus" were original a single double album. Disc 1(I Am...) & Disc 2 (Nastradamus). Sony/Columbia trashed the plans after heavy bootlegging and the "Nastradamus" disc was released separate with all new songs except for one (Project Window).
Most of the "original" tracks for the Nastradamus disc are on Nas's "The Lost Tapes" album and the rest are randomly on different "Death Of Escobar" bootlegs. But by many fans (including myself) these Nastradamus/Death Of Escobar tracks are some of Nas's best work.
-------
Is it just me?

-1OO-
Jay-Blayde

1 comments:

Joe Cool said...

i was born
9/9/89
is dat enough 9's
lets make 09
betta den dat year
we really need 2 i've been readin yo old blogs
we got a lot in common
dead ass i could learn 4rm u...

Hate dat oneday i'ma have 2 eat u alive in a face 2 face battle
den a instrumental battle
den bar 4 bar

but hey we can shake hands after
lol

Cool?
Joe Cool

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Online Project management